Having the wrong boots for Ranger school can lead to blisters and cellulitis, which are the two worst things that can happen to you if you don’t have the right boots on your feet.
Boots are going to get wrecked pretty hard at ranger school, especially in the mountain phase. So, you want something durable and lightweight, dries fast, and decent in drawing out moisture.
That is why you must get the best boots for ranger school. Knowing what you’ll need at each point of the phase is essential as you progress through the course.
In a Rush? Check Our Top 5 Picks Of Ranger School Boots
Different Usage Of Ranger School Boots
First, let’s talk about what you will be doing at the ranger school. The course is comprised of three stages:
The Darby takes place on Fort Benning in Georgia and the Mountain phases in the mountains. The Swamp phase of the course is located in the Florida swamps if you manage to pass the first two phases. These three stages happen immediately after each other, so your boots must be able to handle them all.
For the Darby part of Ranger School, you will need boots because there are several tests, such as the 5-mile run, the 12-mile foot march, the night-terrain run, and the combat water survival test. With the right footwear, all of these physical exercises become much easier.
Going Through Rough Terrains
You will be moving through rough terrains a lot. And this continuous movement can really take a toll on your feet. Choosing the right boots is essential for your comfort and safety.
There will be steep, slippery slopes, downhill maneuvers, and a lot of walking on steep slopes. The best boot for surviving this 20-day portion of the course should have excellent ankle support, good traction, and a comfortable insole.
There will be water in Florida’s Swamp phase since boat operations are involved. You will be in good shape if you can buy a waterproof boot that also dries out quickly.
10 Best Boots For Ranger School Reviews
You have a number of good choices when it comes to boots that will take you through all the phases at ranger school. Here are some of them.
1. Bates Men’s 8″ Ultralite Tactical Sport Side Zip Military Boot
- YKK side zipper for quick on/off
- Slip resistant rubber outsole. Stay cool and dry with a moisture wicking mesh lining
- Durable leather and performance nylon upper
- Moisture wicking, breathable lining
- Removable cushioned insert
This classic 8″ tactical boot is one of Bates most popular styles. Although these are designed as military boots, they are very lightweight and comfortable, making them the perfect boot to take to the ranger school. This boot features performance-grade nylon upper and durable leather.
The Bates Ultralite tactical boots are very comfortable, and you can walk or run in them for long hours without feeling any pain on your feet. The leather bends to your foot really well and creates a nice, unique shape. The treading on the bottom is also great and gives you proper traction when needed.
Putting this boot on and off is very easy, thanks to the zipper on the side. The leather is also very breathable and has good water-resistant properties. The rubber outsole is slip-resistant and makes climbing mountains and walking through muddy puddles a breeze.
As the name implies, these Ultralite boots are very lightweight. There is a cushioned EVA midsole that is also lightweight. You can also remove the cushion insert. The leathers and the uppers feature a breathable lining and also have moisture-wicking properties.
- It fits true to size
- Breathable tactical style boots
- Nylon and leather combination
- Easy to put on and off
2. Under Armour Men’s Valsetz RTS Military And Tactical Boot
- Perfect Outdoor Boots: Made from 100% Fabric or Textile with a leather sole that measures approximately 1.5 inches"
- Lightweight, Durable Men's Boots: Wear as work boots, tactical boots, or even for hunting, hiking and construction
- Full Support During Use: UA ClutchFit ankle support system contours & supports
- Men's Military & Tactical Boots: Thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) toe cap for added protection
- Long-Lasting, Resistant Boots: These Under Armour boots for men have a welded polyurethane (PU) film that surrounds the perimeter for abrasion resistance
The UA Valsetz RTS boots are extremely lightweight almost feel like you are wearing trainer boots. These military-style hiking boots have the perfect balance of tactical performance and the athletic-driven comfort of a running shoe. It also has the durability needed to get through the day.
The Valsetz RTS 1. 5 can get you anywhere with confidence with its high-traction rubber lug outsole. This rubber sole can grip slippery, chewed up sloppy trails like nails. To help you nimbly maneuver over rocks, streams, and fallen logs, this boot features an ultralight TPU shank.
This shank provides the right among of mid-foot support needed to get through rough terrains. It also has the right amount of rigidity to provide protection in the mid-foot section. To protect your foot from trail debris; this hiking boot comes with a TPU toe cap.
Also, this toe cap, along with the welded PU film, makes the boot abrasion resistant. To make the boot as breathable as possible, it has a synthetic leather upper that is lightweight and tough. The Ortholite sock liner is molded to block odors and helps absorb impact, making the shoe more comfortable.
- TPU toe cap and shank
- Amazing mid-foot support
- Welded PU film for protection
- Under Armour’s ClutchFit ankle support system
3. Under Armour Men’s Stellar Military And Tactical Boot
- DWR treated Leather & 900D nylon textile upper
- Polishable toe
- Quick-dry minimalist design
- Anti-odor technology is a superlative innovation which helps prevents odor
- Molded EVA midsole with reinforced TPU shank for protection & support
The Stellar boots from Under Armour are comfortable and lightweight, making them the perfect boots to take to the ranger school. Whether you are standing around all day or going up and down mountain roads, you will be fairly comfortable in them. It also has reinforced TPU Shank for support & protection.
In the UA Stellar Tactical Boot for men, there is no insulation. However, the boot is treated with a water-repellent coating to keep water out. Because of the breathable upper, these are the perfect boots to wear on hot days. Also, the key feature to note here is its Quick-dry minimalist design.
This is a must-have feature for ranger school boots. During the different phases, your boots will get wet quickly. Having this feature means your boots will dry off quickly. Furthermore, wet boots tend to give off a bad smell, and to prevent that, these boots have anti-odor technology.
As for the upper, it is a combination of 900D nylon textile and DWR-treated leather. The sole of the boot makes it very quiet. You can even use them as EMT boots or during training in the emergency room. As for the fitting, these boots have a standard width length and fit true to size.
- The upper is treated with a water-resistant finish
- Comfortable and lightweight boot construction
- 900D nylon textile upper and DWR treater leather
- Quick-dry minimalist design
4. Nortiv 8 Men’s Military Tactical Work Boots
- Protection & convenience: Ankle-high protection wraps & supports the ankles.YKK side zipper with hook-loop strap closure is easy to take on/off.
- Durable & breathable：Breathable fabric keeps your feet cool and dry. And high abrasion-resistant leather provides full protection. This combination structure offers maximum comfort and ensures breathable and long-term protection at the same time.
- Dynamic 3-sole system: (1) Removable, shock-absorbent cushion in-sole offers supportive all-day comfort. (2) Flexible EVA mid-sole reduces foot fatigue and absorbs shock; (3) Slip, oil, and abrasion-resistant rubber out-sole is a flexible response to various outdoor terrain
- Perfect for outdoor & indoor: Designed for both daily work and outdoor sports like camping, climbing, cycling, fishing, jungle, running, mountaineering, traveling, and so on.
- What you get: our worry-free warranty and friendly customer service, NORTIV 8 is an American brand that aims at providing high-quality outdoor shoes.
These tactical work boots from Nortiv 8 offer comfort, durability, and a good amount of cushioning. What makes these boots ideal for ranger school is the balance of comfort and toughness. To make your ankle comfortable, the pair features a thick foam padded collar. It also provides added protection.
These boots are also designed to reduce the fatigue in your feet. The insole has a good amount of arch support, and it is also removable. Although the toe cap isn’t suitable for construction work, it is made to resist wear and tear. The upper is composed of mesh fabric and leather.
This combination makes the upper very breathable during the hot summer days. The boots have side zipper construction that allows you to put the boots on and off quickly and securely. You will highly appreciate this feature in the ranger school.
Inside the boot, there is a soft fabric that prevents gravel debris and sand from entering. The outsole is rugged and made out of slip-resistant rubber. It has a tread pattern that can easily hand rough terrains with ease. It also sheds mud easily and offers good traction.
- Mesh fabric and leather upper
- Slip-resistant rubber outsole
- Comfortable linen insole with arch support
- Hook and loop construction
5. Garmont Men’s T8 Bifida Tactical Military
- This Tactical boot is known for outstanding quality and attention to fine detail. Made of durable nylon webbing and metallic eyelets.
- Unsurpassed confront accomplished with the PU Breathable Footbed, and the EVA insole. Zero optical refraction hardware at the instep for flawless performance in all operating environments.
- Slip resistance offered from the well-constructed rubber outsole and treads designed to grip the ground as you are completing your mission.
- For Missions where the need for speed is paramount, this lightweight high-performance tactical boot provides unsurpassed comfort and protection even under a heavy load and on assignments requiring long periods of standing and excessive walking.
- The durable upper construction offers excellent breathability and ventilation and the quick-drying materials are suitable to an amphibious environment or extremely wet climate.
The T8 Bifida tactical boot from Garmont is a popular option for ranger schools because of its outstanding quality. This ranger boot is also known for its attention to fine details. The T8 Bifida features metallic eyelets, and the upper consists of durable nylon webbing.
In addition to offering excellent durability, the upper is also surprisingly breathable. There is a good amount of ventilation on these boots to keep your feet cool during the hot summer days. Furthermore, there are quick-drying materials present on the upper that keeps the boot dry.
The features of these boots make them suitable for extreme wet environments as well as an amphibious environment. Designed for extreme comfort and protection, this lightweight, high-performance tactical boot gives you maximum performance even when you’re carrying heavy loads.
You will also feel comfortable standing for long periods and walking a great deal with these boots. Ranger school learners will have a safer walking experience with the boot’s well-constructed rubber outsole and gripped treads as they complete their training.
- Durable nylon webbing & upper
- Excellent ventilation and breathability
- Lightweight and high-performance tactical boots
- Quick-drying materials
6. 5.11 Men’s Speed 3.0 Jungle Military And Tactical Boot
The 5.11 Speed 3.0 Jungle is a men’s tactical boot that delivers outstanding tactical functionality and is designed to withstand harsh, wet environments. It’s no wonder that this is one of the best boots for ranger school. The upper consists of 16ADD nylon and synthetic leather.
If you are familiar with 5.11’s A.T.A.C boots, this pair is considered as the accelerated version of those boots. Stroble socks are included in the purchase of this boot to provide cushioning and comfort for your feet. In addition, you will also get an OrthoLite insole for a perfect, comfortable fit.
With a heel-to-toe drop of 14mm, the shoe offers a steady stance and torsional stability as well. During the different phases in ranger school, you will be climbing ladders and doing a lot of rope work. Because of that, you will need traction assistance. That is why these boots come with fence climbing lugs.
These boots also feature 5.11’s innovative rapid-dry technology. Compared to traditional boots, the Speed 3.0 boots dry faster and absorb less water. In addition, for stability and comfort, these boots come with a newly developed speed cup sole platform.
- Fence-climbing toe and forefoot lugs
- Speed cup sole for stability and comfort
- Innovative rapid-dry technology
- Slip-and oil-resistant multi-terrain tread
7. Rocky Men’s Ry008 Military And Tactical Boot
- Dual Performance Material Upper With Polishable Toe Section
- Water-Resistant and Fast Drying Materials
- Ventilation Holes On Outer Sides Promote Breathability
- Speed Lacing System With Nato Hooks
- Sturdy 550 Grade Nylon Cord Laces
The boot’s lightweight EVA/rubber outsole resists anything you can throw at it. It is slip, heat, oil, chemicals, metal chips, and abrasions resistant. This will help you focus more on your duty. The black boots are water-resistant and fast drying. The outer sides feature ventilation holes that aid in air movement.
Don’t be afraid if your feet sweat. Air can flow freely through the thin material and ergonomic design, wicking away moisture from the body. These boots are also lightweight, weighing only 15 ounces. You will feel as if you are walking barefoot. With its 8″ ankles, it gives your legs the grip they need.
By no means are these meant to be field boots. It does not offer ankle support, and it is not comfortable enough to stand on pavement for a long period of time. As such, you can buy these boots if you train indoors or attend classes. This is a great use of them.
They might be more practical for someone who walks often and is on their feet a lot. This is not the kind of boot you should buy if you need something that can handle harsh environments. It is only because of the lightweight nature of these shoes that they made their way on this list. They literally feel like they are filled with air.
- Rocky air-port cushion footbed
- Fast-drying and water-resistant boots
- Lightweight EVA/rubber outsole
- Comfortable duty boots
8. Danner Men’s Tachyon 8 Inch Coyote Military And Tactical Boot
- Removable insole
- Shank Material is made up of Nylon
From its thick, outsole rubber to its eight-inch shaft, the Tachyon provides remarkably sturdy performance. Its ultra-lightweight construction makes it stand out from other boots. It may seem impossible that a boot so lightweight can withstand the rigors of Ranger School when it only weighs 13 ounces.
Danner did not compromise boot integrity simply because they wanted lighter boots. There is a lot of nylon to keep the boot flexible and ventilated, but all the right spots have been reinforced with leather to make the boot durable and the ankle secured.
These boots are perfect for hot summer training and ruck marches. Watch your feet after a day of marching in the Southern heat, and you’ll feel much cooler and drier than the others. This is the perfect boot to wear for warm weather.
In hot summer marches, the Danner Tachyon keeps you cool and comfortable with its lightweight construction and superior ventilation. Its flexibility and comfort make it a great boot for everyday use. It is also extremely lightweight so that you can wear it every day.
- Most well-made boot in its class
- High-quality rubber sole
- Comfortable during summer
- Excellent build quality
9. Under Armour Men’s Infil Military And Tactical Boot
- Composite textile & foam upper construction for added support & comfort
- 900D Textile in forefoot for durability
- Anatomically molded upper with welded forefoot overlay for superior fit
- BOA speed closure system
- TPU toe cap & external heel support
The Under Armour brand of tactical boots is one of the most reliable on the market. Despite their flexibility, these tactical boots can be used in a variety of situations. The Infil is a military and tactical boot from Under Armour that has a simple design that offers comfort and protection at the same time.
900D nylon and DWR treated leather were used to construct these tactical boots. Your feet will stay cool and dry all day long with this combination. A special antimicrobial material lines these boots to prevent the growth of mold and bacteria and to prevent odor.
Reinforced TPU Shank makes these lightweight boots durable. This shoe has a hidden shank that provides more support. There is extra support and protection in the midsole of these boots. In terms of water resistance, it’s pretty impressive. These boots will keep your feet from getting soaked.
With these boots, you will never have an abrasion problem. Due to their lightweight design, they are often used for hiking or running. Its outdoor capabilities are the brand’s biggest selling point. This is the primary reason why these boots are perfect for ranger school.
- Foam upper construction for comfort
- Composite 900D textile material
- Anatomically molded upper
- External heel support
10. Smith & Wesson Men’s Breach 2.0 Tactical Size Zip Boots
- SMITH & WESSON - Known for outstanding quality and attention to fine detail. We're proud to introduce a boot that sets a new standard for construction, durability, and price. The Breach 2.0 is built upon years of top caliber manufacturing and industry experience.
- TOUGH - The leather and nylon construction is made to provide full protection without compromising on comfort. A gusseted tongue keeps dirt and debris out.
- COMFORTABLE ALL DAY - An EVA Midsole gives lightweight comfort and cradled support, and for added support we used a steel shank. Board-lasted construction creates a torsional rigidity that reduces foot fatigue during long work shifts.
- SLIP RESISTANCE - The rubber outsole is engineered to minimize traction loss with an innovative pattern that grips dirt, waxed surfaces, fences and ladders, and anything the urban jungle can throw at you.
- AFFORDABLE - Breach 2.0 provides high quality construction at a budget-friendly price, giving you the best bang for your buck. No matter your trade, if you require footwear you can count on, the Breach 2.0 works hard like you do to outperform and outlast. Direct Premium Buys donates a portion of the proceeds to Operation First Response, a wounded-warrior charity.
Designed and crafted with excellent quality and attention to every detail, the Breach 2.0 Tactical Side-Zip Boots from Smith and Wesson are one of the best boot options available for ranger school. In terms of price, durability, and construction, the boot sets a new benchmark. The manufacturers claim that is what they are.
A little digging revealed that they weren’t exaggerating. Without a doubt, these are great boots. Leather and nylon are used in the construction of these boots. Providing both protection and comfort in one package is the goal of this combination.
Despite the harsh environment, these boots are tough. The tongue is gusseted to prevent dirt and debris from getting in. Whether it is mud or water, you can easily walk through them. Foam padding covers the collar and tongue, increasing protection and breathability.
With these boots, you can work for long periods of time without feeling uncomfortable. Providing both lightweight comfort and cradled support, the midsole is made of EVA. They are incredibly slip-resistant. Its rubber sole minimizes traction loss thanks to its unique design.
- Budget-friendly price
- Slip resistance rubber outsole
- Lightweight comfort and cradled support
- Leather and nylon construction
How To Choose A Perfect Ranger School Boot
Selecting the right gear based on your needs is very important when preparing your gear for ranger school. Select gear that’s appropriate for your size and body type.
Your boots are the most important part of your outfit. When it comes to choosing the best boot for ranger school, it is really important that you keep all the phases in mind.
Weight And Traction
In order to run your 12-mile ruck march and compete in other physical activities during RAP week, lightweight boots are essential.
You may as well give up before you even begin if you don’t have a boot with excellent traction. It’s not only going to be that you’ll be walking a lot, but you’ll also be dealing with altitudes, terrain, and inclines, including possible rain or snow if you’re not very lucky.
When you go to Fort Benning in Georgia, you want traction. That is because the dirt there is kind of loose. And having the traction is going to help get a good foothold. It will also prevent possible injuries while you are on patrol.
The right traction on your boot can save you hours of time as well as prevent you from getting injured. It is vital to have traction through the Darby phase since there is a lot of loose terrains, but it is especially necessary during the Mountain phase since you are always walking uphill and downhill.
Ankle & Arch Support
The two characteristics that are most important in the mountain phase are traction and support. In the mountains, I believe that support is of utmost importance.
Ankle support is necessary. Several injuries occur every year due to the steep and rocky terrain of Dahlonega, Georgia. If you want to reduce your injury risk, you must wear boots with good ankle support.
It will help you to prevent injury and pass the mountain phase if you have good boots that keep your ankles from rolling when you trip.
Your feet will not ache as much when you wear boots with good arch support. Unfortunately, rangers School is such a demanding school that you cannot avoid foot pain at all.
However, if your boots lack arch support, then it would be a lot more painful than it should be. A well-supported arch will be a great help to you with all the walking, running, jumping, and climbing you will do.
Quick Drying & Waterproofing
Florida seems like an obvious choice to have a boot that is both waterproof and quick drying. In Florida, a boat’s ability to dry quickly is its most important feature. Additionally, boots that are lightweight are a good choice in this phase.
In the Florida phase, you will be carrying the heaviest pack in Ranger school. That is why losing weight is important. It’s going to be easier for you if you have light boots. Also, make sure your boots dry quickly.
During the Florida phase, you are constantly drenched in water. This phase takes place in the swamps of Florida, where you’ll practice navigating boats and going through swamp water. During those last few weeks, everyone will get wet and mostly stay wet.
In general, you’ll be in pretty good shape if you find a waterproof boot or even one that’s water-resistant.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of boots do Army Rangers wear?
During the training period, Army Rangers are allowed to wear only combat boots. That goes the same during actual combat. These combat boots are designed for Army personnel only. However, they will wear different boots during parades and other ceremonial duties.
These boots are designed to be suitable for a rugged environment. That’s why most modern combat boots have a good combination of ankle stability, arch support, grip, and foot protection.
Can you bring your own boots to Ranger school?
Yes, you can bring your own boots to ranger school. However, make sure to check what other rangers recommend before you go ahead and pick a pair. Also, If I were you, I would invest my money in buying good boot socks.
What boots are allowed at rasp?
Boots issued by the US Army are the only ones allowed in RASP. In the future, you will be able to pick out your own field boots and get more comfortable. Up to that point, you have only the basic Bates to choose from.
Which boot is good for Darby?
That would be the Garmont T8 NFS model. You can check out my review to know more about these boots.
You will eventually go numb on your feet. There is a direct correlation between how much money you spend and how long it takes. Do not overdo it with your purchases.
In choosing your boots, you should look at two main factors: What kind of terrain will I be walking on? Is there enough support for me?
It is important to understand your body. And only then will you be able to find the best boots for ranger school.